Monday, August 24, 2009

What is thrifty living?

I love finding a good deal on just about anything. And since I am blessed to not have to work outside of the home, I have made it a priority to use the time that I have at home to learn about how to make the most of the resources that I've been given.

Thrifty (according to Webster's) is being "careful in the management of money or resources." And so the purpose of this blog is to share the ways that I've learned to be thrifty. I see thriftiness as a quality that can be honed even in times of plenty. The idea behind the concept is to manage what you have. If I have a lot of extra money, it is thrifty to save, invest, give, or even buy something special. The money was well managed. If I do not have a lot of extra money, it is thrifty to see what spending I can cut out to meet my immediate needs. There are many ways in which thriftiness and frugality overlap, especially now with so many people fighting the slow economy and shrinking wallets. Many people are learning that there is a big difference between wants and true needs. But I believe there are also times when it is a good investment to spend more (provided you have the money to spend).

I'm still learning what works and what doesn't, but my hope is that through this blog I can share what I've learned about being thrifty. In the process I'm sure there is plenty more that I will learn!

Right now, the plan for this blog is to have regular posts on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Mondays (though not this Monday!) will feature something to do with food...a sweet grocery store deal for the week, an easy recipe, or a thrifty method. Wednesdays will be more home and living related. I use cloth diapers on my daughter, so this will be something that I focus on frequently! On Fridays I will be participating in "Food Waste Friday" by going through my fridge every Friday, cleaning out anything that has gone bad, and being held accountable by taking a picture - yikes! (This is not my own idea. I will tell more on Friday. If you want a head start, you can read about it here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails