Friday, September 4, 2009

Food Waste Friday

I've started going through our fridge every Friday and taking a picture of anything that has gone bad before tossing it. I am really glad that our trash gets picked up on Fridays!! I'm hoping to reduce the amount of food that we waste to save us money and be more conscientious with the things that I buy.

Last week was the first week that I did this, and I didn't do a great job using things up. This week I did a better job noticing what needed to be used up (like last night when we finished off some salsa and sour cream that would probably have ended up in next weeks photo!). Unfortunately, I pulled out several things that we had forgotten about....


I make our spaghetti sauce normally, but by combining a coupon and a sale I got a jar of Vodka sauce. It was ok, but not great, and is now several weeks old (about 1/4 of the jar left).
The package of hotdogs should have been in last weeks photo...it was fuzzy then (yuck!). I don't know how I forgot about hotdogs in the summer when we grill so much. It will not happen again!
The white mushy mess is a hard boiled egg I had for my husband to take to work. It got stuck behind some things and is in a very sorry state now.
And the bowl has a cheese dip that went with bread I made for a get together last week. The bread was really good and the dip only so-so...so the bread was finished and the dip forgotten about.
All in all, I think this was an improvement from last week, and my fridge is looking a lot cleaner, so hopefully next week there will be nothing to report!
Check out The Frugal Girl for more Food Waste Friday participants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails