Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Trash to Treasure

Our newest piece of furniture is this lovely little end table. I mentioned on Facebook last week that my kids took really good naps several days in a row (apparently I'm wearing them out this summer!) so I was able to finish up this little project!

Here is the original table. I first spotted it on a neighbor's curb waiting for the trash. I couldn't let that happen, so I rescued it! Before it was even in the house, I could already see it painted black.

Thanks to this little orbital sander, I was able to get most of the yellow paint of and sand down to the real wood underneath.

The only sanding I had to do by hand was for the drawer knob. My 2-year old gets the credit for this picture!

The new black knob!

And the finished product! I had to do 2-3 coats of black in order to make sure that none of the light wood or leftover paint peeked through, but it was really simple and easy. The perfect nap-time project! I'm sure I could have done a better job getting all the old paint off, especially if I had stripped it like I did with the desk to dresser redo. But since this was a lot cheaper piece of furniture, I was ok with cutting a few corners.

We are excited to put this to good use, much better than it ever could have if the garbage truck had gotten to it first!

Have you ever rescued something from the trash? I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails