Friday, December 11, 2009

Thrifty Christmas: Part 2

Homemade Christmas cookies were one of my favorite Christmas traditions growing up. My mom taught me and my sisters how to bake with her from when we were very little, and we turned out to be pretty good at making cookies!

I will be sharing some of our favorite Christmas cookie recipes (most likely as I make my own this year). The first one that I made this year was Molasses Sugar Cookies. These are one of my favorites! They turn out chewy (which is a must for me - I really do not like crunchy cookies) and moist and taste very old-fashioned.

Cookie tins are a great way to package cookies as a gift. I have bought many of my cookie tins from JoAnn's for very reasonable prices (at least 1/2 price) in many different sizes and designs. I have also seen cute cookie tins at different drug stores.

Ingredients:
2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. cloves
1/2 t. ginger
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. unsulfered molasses
1 egg

In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and salt.

In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Remove from heat and cool. Stir in sugar, molasses, and egg. Beat with a wooden spoon. Beat in the dry ingredients until well combined. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Shape dough into 1 inch balls.

Roll in sugar (I colored mine green)


Place on greased cookie sheets


Bake in a preheated oven at 375 for 8-10 minutes



Allow to cool for about 1 minute on the cookie sheet so they are easier to remove. Cool completely on a wire rack...but make sure that you eat at least one while they are still warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails