Monday, November 2, 2009

Pot Pie Recipe

Everyone makes pot pie differently, and I even have several different ways that I make it! This recipe is more soup-like, and is a favorite of my family.

I started with chicken stock for the pot pie. I got this jar of chicken base at Costco for about $3; I just add a few scoops to some hot water and instant chicken stock!


Normally I would saute some onion before adding the stock, but alas, we were out of onions. So I used some onion juice instead. I added cut up cooked chicken to the broth, along with some potatoes.


The dumplings in this pot pie are most definitely my favorite part. In a bowl mix 2 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt and 2 tablespoons of shortening. Use a fork to work the shortening in until it is in fine pieces.


Add milk a little at a time until it forms a dough.



Turn out onto a floured surface and knead just a enough to hold together






Roll the dough out with a rolling pin and cut into about 1 inch squares. A pizza cutter works great for this.



Drop the dough into the boiling broth. As it cooks it puffs up.



To makes things really simply, I just used a bag of frozen mixed veggies, which I added at the end, along with salt and pepper.




You can make this with chicken, beef, or ham. I have some ham stock sitting in my freezer for the next time I make pot pie! This is a great meal to double and freeze for an easy meal later on too!

1 comment:

  1. That looks incredibly yummy! And the chicken base is a brilliant idea. My mom makes huge quantities of soup for the bread store, and she used to make it with premade broth, then she discovered chicken base. Definitely the way to go!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love hearing from readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails