Monday, March 15, 2010

Book Review: Saint Patrick

Saint Patrick by Jonathan Rogers


Very little is known about the actual man, Patrick, missionary to Ireland in the 400s. This short work by Jonathan Rogers is drawn heavily from the two surviving written works by Patrick. While many legends sprung up around the man, Rogers seeks to temper those stories and paints a picture of a man with a powerful conversion, a passion and love for "barbaric" people (the Irish), and a humble reliance on God.

I appreciated how faithful Rogers was to stick to Patrick's own words throughout this book. I felt like I was really able to learn about Patrick instead of just reading another fable. I also enjoyed that he included the two letters written by Patrick at the end of this book. It was so fascinating to be able to read something written over 1500 years ago! If you are looking for a quick read about a little known historical figure, then this is the book -- and just in time for St. Patrick's Day!

I review for BookSneeze

Thanks to Thomas Nelson for providing me with a free copy of this book to review! If you would like to learn more about how you can review books for free, click on the above picture or read my post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails