Friday, April 16, 2010

Food Waste Friday

I've been participating in Food Waste Friday with The Frugal Girl for a while now; I go through our fridge (and freezer) on Friday and toss anything that has gone bad. I also take a look at what needs to be used up so that it does not go bad and try to work that into our meals over the next few days. This has really helped us to throw out less food (and so we're actually buying less because we're using what we've already bought!).

This week I threw out a little bit of spinach. We ended up with way too much salad left over when our families came for Easter, and this spinach is all we wasted, so I'm pretty happy about that. I also threw out some pepperoni from the freezer. It was a large bag we got from Costco that got terribly freezer burned.


How did you do this week? Have you been working to waste less food too?
Happy Friday and enjoy the weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I stumbled upon your blog through FG, and giggled when I see your food waste of spinach is the same as mine - only we, unfortunately, wasted way more spinach than you did. My attempts at finding new recipes to put this in, failed. I should have cooked this, then froze it. Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it?!

    I love your title "homemanager" - I, too, am one ... for 15 years now. :)

    I've added your blog to my "favorites", and am looking forward to learning new ways of "thrifty" improvements!

    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michelle! I'm planning to grow spinach in my garden this year, which could keep us from wasting it!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love hearing from readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails