Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Creamless Creamy Tomato Soup

It has been super cold in Delaware lately, so one icy day last week I made this for dinner. It was the perfect cozy meal! I found this recipe on my Cook's Illustrated app on the iPod. I had been wanted to make tomato soup for a while. I made it the first year we were married but it had chunks of tomato and we don't do tomato chunks in something like this, so I think the leftovers got tossed. We won't be tossing these leftovers, I am pleased to report!

We had grilled cheese sandwiches with this soup and it was tasty! I think a salad would have gone nicely too, but I didn't think of it until I was cleaning up dinner. My 2 year old LOVED it. It came out thick and creamy, and had a nice kick to it. I think the only changes I would make next time is to maybe only use 2 cloves of garlic (it was a little garlicky) and add a tiny bit more sugar (it was still a little tart). Overall it had a very complex flavor, totally unlike the canned variety.

I wanted a creamy tomato recipe, and I thought it was interesting that this one accomplished the thick and creamy texture without using any heavy cream or even milk.

  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
  • pinch hot red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes packed in juice
  • 1 T. brown sugar
  • 3 large slices good-quality sandwich bread, crusts removed and torn into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 T. brandy (optional)
Heat 2 Tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and bay leaf. I was out of onion so I just used onion juice.

Stir in tomatoes (I used crushed tomatoes instead of whole). Using a potato masher, mash until no pieces bigger than 2 inches remain (or used crushed tomatoes!). Stir in sugar and bread; bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until bread is completely saturated and starts to break down. Remove and discard bay leaf.

Then I pulled out my new immersion blender! Or you could use a regular blender (which is used in the actual recipe).

You can see how the soup is changing color as it is blended together...awesome!

After soup is blended, stir in chicken broth and brandy (I didn't use brandy). Return soup to a boil and season with salt and pepper to taste.

I totally recommend pairing with grilled cheese, but crusty bread for dipping would be great too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails