Monday, July 26, 2010

Side Dishes for Dinner

We've found a great alternative for summer meals is to have a few side dishes as our main course. On this particular night, we did have chicken wraps also, though they were more the size of the snack wraps from McDonalds. For our additional items we had deviled eggs with fresh basil (from our garden)...

and cucumber salad (with a cucumber from my dad's co-worker's garden and basil from ours again)!


These two dishes are super easy to prepare and are both great warm weather meals because they are cool.

For the deviled eggs, I use Betty Crocker's recipe (the best!), though I do add some Old Bay seasoning.
The Recipe (for 6 hard boiled eggs)
cut eggs in half and remove yolks; add
1/2 tsp. salt (I use less)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
about 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
Combine and then refill egg whites!

For the cucumber salad I tried a new recipe that I found on a friend's blog (who was actually my RA in college several years ago!). I added very little salt because we prefer less salt usually, but next time I think I will add some more, along with a bit more pepper.

The Recipe (for 1 cucumber)
1 cucumber, cut into cubes (and peeled if you prefer)
about 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
about 1 Tbsp basil, chopped (I used kitchen shears instead of a knife)
salt and pepper to taste (I should have tasted more!)
Combine and refrigerate to allow flavors to set. Also good the next day!


Do you have any cool summer side recipes to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I love hearing from readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails