Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Fall Foods

 Doesn't Fall make you think of certain foods? I know the same is true with other seasons, but I think there is something about the cooler weather that bring certain foods to mind...like apples! And pumpkins!

I've jumped on the applesauce making bandwagon that is all over the blogosphere! I got some 69 cent apples last week (seconds from a U-pick farm) and used about 3 pounds worth to make homemade applesauce. I cored and peeled 6 apples, then put them in my crockpot with some water. I didn't add any cinnamon or brown sugar, but you could certainly add either!


I let it simmer away for most of the day until the apples were soft and mashable. I just used my potato masher on the slices but didn't smooth it out entirely for a nice chunky texture. MMmmmm! So good!

Homemade applesauce is head and shoulders better than the store-bought stuff for sure. But don't expect it to save any money. Even with my 69 cent apples I only just broke even, but adding in the prep time homemade applesauce is a bit more expensive. This stuff is so good that I'm planning to make some more with the rest of my 69 cent apples, but I'll be buying applesauce from the store most of the time I'm sure!
I already posted several of our favorite pumpkin recipes last week. Over the weekend I made a batch of Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies...

This has been one of our favorite fall treats the last few years. I got the recipe from a friend and so I'm unsure of the original source. The texture is cake-like and the spices and chocolate go so well together.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 c. 100% pumpkin
2 1/2 c. All-purpose flour
1 t. Baking soda
1 t. Baking powder
1 t. Cinnamon
1 t. Nutmeg
1/2 t. Salt
1 1/2 c. Sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
1 egg
1 t. Vanilla extract
2 c. Semi-sweet chocolate chips

Method:
Pre-heat oven to 350

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Beat softened butter and sugar in mixing bowl until well blended. Beat in pumpkin, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Mix in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto greased cookie sheets.

Bake 14-16 minutes until edges just turn brown and center is firm.

1 comment:

  1. I've made my second batch of crockpot applesauce too and it is great! I do put cinnamon in mine. We love it warm! I froze some, but I haven't tried it from the freezer yet to see if it is just as good...hopefully it will be....

    Love the pumpkin recipes...some of my favorites are pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin bread, and pumpkin chocolate chip muffins!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love hearing from readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails