Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Lentil-Veggie Soup (crockpot)

This soup was a lifesaver last week when I was sick; it only took me 15 minutes to prep in the morning and lasted for dinner twice and multiple lunches. It was good the first night we had it, but I think it got better after sitting for a day or two. A lot of soups get better after sitting, but this time it could have been my stuffy head the first night...


Lentil-Veggie Soup
(from Better Homes & Gardens)

1 cup dry lentils
1 c. chopped carrots
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/2 t. dried oregano, crushed
1/2 t. dried thyme, crushed
1 bay leaf
2 14 oz can vegetable broth or chicken broth (3 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups water
1 14 oz can Italian-style stewed tomatoes (I use crushed tomatoes instead)
1/4 c. snipped fresh parsley (I used dry parsley)

In a 3 1/2-4 quart crockpot place (rinsed) lentils, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, basil, oregano, thyme, and bay leaf. Stir in broth, water, and tomatoes.

Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 12 hours or high-heat setting for 5-6 hours. **I cooked it for 2 hours on high and then low for 4 or 5. Before serving, discard bay leaf.

Also, I don't usually measure the veggies because I like to make a larger quantity of soup. I also used a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes and less water. This made it very tomato-y, so I could have put in even more veggies. This is a great cold-weather soup, especially with hot bread!

1 comment:

  1. Love this soup! I dice 2 strips of bacon and add that along with a few splashes of worcestershire sauce, to add even more heartiness.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love hearing from readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails