Friday, June 10, 2011

Food Waste Friday

Every Friday, I join with The Frugal Girl and other bloggers to clean out my fridge and freezer and take a picture of anything that has gone bad over the last week. This holds me accountable to faithfully check every week, and motivates me to use up our leftovers. This has made a huge difference in the amount of food we waste every week. I encourage you to participate with me in food waste Friday, too!



I was a little concerned about how much food fresh produce we might waste this week after seeing the huge amount of food we got last Friday at our first CSA pick-up, but I am pleased to report that only a few wilty and mushy lettuce leaves are pictured! Unfortunately, I had to throw out half of a container of Ricotta cheese too. I had been meaning to make a second lasagna with it, but did not plan my shopping trips well enough so I was out of sauce and cheese enough for the second one.


Food waste seems a little more manageable in the summer for our family, I think because we are more likely to eat up fresh produce when it is hot, and those are the items that spoil the fastest. Does the summer help you keep food waste under control too?

4 comments:

  1. I wasted ricotta two weeks ago, but now I've started freezing it. I haven't used the frozen stuff yet, but I think I'm going to next week. Everything I read said it should be okay.

    ~Elizabeth~
    *visiting from Food Waste Friday*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh! That happens to me ALL THE TIME. I hate it - I feel all good and frugal when I think I can use up extras or buy on sale and then come short on the other ingredients.

    Me and my brain (and apparently you and yours) need to sit down and have a little talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I'll do that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ouch! hasn't been too long ago that I wasted a bit of ricotta myself. next time I'll freeze the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? I love hearing from readers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails